Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Our Seattle area SERVPRO is a regular and reliable partner in the local fire damage restoration industry. We pride ourselves in being responsive and a true help to families and businesses in real need, especially after winter holiday fires.
Fire damage is especially devastating because there are two sources of damage, the fire and all the surrounding fire damage related problems like smoke and soot. But there is also the damage caused by the fire fighting efforts -- the water damage, which can be equally devastating.
Our teams regularly address fire damage. We have the training, know-how and skill to help restore your home and business.
Below we've listed out several tips to help you think through and understand the damage and next steps.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (206) 789-2300
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.