Keep Bathrooms Mold Free
Mold grows in unvented bathrooms, around leaky pipes, and underneath sinks with damaged seals.
A nice warm shower or bath can be a great way to end the day or re-energize in the morning. You aren’t alone in being drawn to the comforts a bathroom can provide. Lingering dampness after bathing and potential water damage create welcoming environments for mold growth.
Finding the Mold
While sometimes obvious, mold damage can also be sneaky. Hidden water damage may likely be the culprit if you notice the distinct musty odor without the visual cues. When finding the source, check the following areas:
- Inspect toilets, sinks and pipes for signs of a leak or mold.
- Check caulking around tubs and showers.
- Remove ventilation fan cover to look for signs of growth.
- Inspect walls, grout, wallpaper, drywall, rugs and other porous materials for dampness.
The pesky fungus may be annoying, but luckily mold prevention is easy. Incorporating a few daily habits and regularly checking for damage can keep it at bay. Some tips include:
- After bathing, squeegee walls to eliminate lingering water.
- Always use the ventilation fan when bathing and keep it running for 30 minutes afterward.
- Mold loves humidity. Try to keep levels below 50% in the home via a dehumidifier or air conditioner.
- Keep bathrooms clean. Washing the rugs and towels and cleaning toilets, sinks and showers can eliminate conditions that mold and mildew love.
If a leak happens and results in water damage, getting rid of the mold simply requires a little labor or calling on a professional to take care of the issue. This will involve removing any caulking, drywall or other materials with signs of mold. A thorough cleaning and 48-hour dry time will be needed to eradicate and prevent growth.
Protecting your home in Broadview, WA from mold doesn’t have to be a cumbersome task. Making a few changes and occasionally inspecting the bathroom can keep it fungus free.
Simple cleaning tips for tackling mold and mildew in your Seattle NW home.
When you need professional Mold clean up help call SERVPRO of Seattle Northwest at (206) 789-2300
Dealing with nasty mold and mildew are common cleaning issues that can arise within your home or business. Unfortunately, our Seattle Northwest climate can give mold and mildew the perfect conditions to grow and thrive in, and can be found anywhere from damp clothing to upholstered furniture and carpets.
When you find mold and mildew on your furniture and carpets, and need professional help to get rid of it properly, our expert service professionals at SERVPRO of Seattle Northwest will use our state of the art equipment to help you take care of your mold issue quickly and safely.
However, if your mold and mildew problems are less catastrophic here are a few simple tips to help you remove mold and mildew from…
Apply a solution of one part bleach to three parts water to the stain and allow the solution to sit for 5-10 minutes, then wash as directed.
If the article of clothing cannot be bleached, try removing the mold with lemon juice or white vinegar. Soak a cotton pad in lemon juice or vinegar and place it on the stain. Allow the solution to soak for several minutes. Then, remove the cotton pad, and sprinkle the area with some salt to further boost the effect of the acid. If possible, place the item in a sunny spot to dry. The sun rays will also bleach stains. Repeat as needed, then wash the garment as usual.
If the mildew stain persists, bring the article to a professional dry cleaner.
...grout and walls
To clean mildew and mold effectively from walls and grout, mix a solution of one part bleach to three parts water. Dampen (don’t soak) a sponge with the solution and apply it to the moldy areas. As the mildew disappears, dry the area using an old towel.
If your upholstered furniture has water damage and a substantial amount of mold growth, it should be replaced.
However, if there's only a small mold stain, you can try using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Blot it on the mold and allow it to work for a minute or so. Rinse solution from the area by alternately dabbing it with a damp cloth or sponge and a dry cotton cloth. This probably will not remove the mold, but it may help lessen the stain.
Consult a professional if the stain persists or reappears.
Be very careful dealing with mold on your carpet, its best to get the opinion of a certified mold expert, and let them safely remove any substantial amount of mold from your home or business.
If you need assistance for water or mold clean up & restoration, give SERVPRO of Seattle Northwest a call at (206) 789-2300
We're available 24/7 for emergency services.
10 MOST COMMON PLACES FOR MOLD GROWTH IN YOUR HOME
When it comes to your home or business mold is not something you want to mess around with. Especially in our Pacific Northwest climate, it doesn’t take very much time for mold to spread quickly. Mold can become extremely hazardous to your health, and if left untreated can cause costly structural damage to building materials. If you find mold growing in your home, it’s important to call in a professional who has the experience and expertise to have the mold completely removed by using the correct process.
Mold is a living organism that belongs to the fungi family. There are over 100,000 species of mold, and all of them can be harmful if not properly taken care of.
As long as oxygen and moisture are present, mold can virtually grow on any organic surface such as paper, wood, insulation, food, and carpet padding. Because mold will eat or digest what it growing on, if left untreated, mold can even cause structural damage to buildings and furnishings.
10 Places to Watch for Mold Growth in Your Home:
- Basements or cellars that have been flooded
- Underneath kitchen sinks
- Attics & Crawl Spaces
- Underneath or behind refrigerators
- Behind walls that also house plumbing
- Stacks of damp or wet newspaper or cardboard boxes
- Around air-conditioning units
- Wallboard or around windows that leak
- Under carpeting that may have become wet
- Bathroom shower or under sink
You can prevent damage to your home or business, its contents, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth.
Reminder: With any type of water damage in the home drying the affected areas within three days or less will help prevent the growth of toxic mold that can make you extremely sick.
We hope you never have to experience mold in your home, but if it does happen contact SERVPRO of Seattle Northwest and speak to one of our experienced team members who can help you quickly find a solution to your mold issue, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and you will receive complete service for your emergency with one phone call.
Call SERVPRO of Seattle Northwest and speak to one of our service professionals at (206) 789-2300